A while back, I posted a recipe for Baked Oatmeal that I would prepare over the weekend for us to eat during the week for breakfast. Well, I wanted to share another easy recipe with you that I discovered on The Yummy Life blog – Slow Cooker, Cherry Almond Steel-Cut Oatmeal.
Not only is this recipe easy, it’s healthy and very, very yummy! We double the recipe and my husband and I can eat it for the whole week.
Monica at The Yummy Life has some other slow cooker oatmeal recipes in different flavors. I haven’t tried them all yet because this one keeps us coming back for more.
Happy breakfasting! Thanks Monica!
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 apple, peeled and grated (approx. 1 cup grated); or 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into 5-6 pieces, optional (omit or substitute margarine for lactose-free, vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional garnishes: toasted sliced almonds, maple syrup, additional almond milk or butter
To reheat single servings: Put 1-cup cooked oatmeal in microwave proof bowl. Add 1/3 cup almond milk. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stir. Continue cooking for another minute, or until hot.
Recipe can be doubled in 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Increase cooking time 1 hour.
Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 5 pts per 3/4 cup serving