Did you know that September is National Disaster Preparedness Month?
And with most of the east coast battening down the hatches and preparing for the oncoming hurricane, I decided that I would share what we are doing this weekend to be a bit more prepared for what might come.
Here’s our list:
- Gather flashlights and check batteries.
- Fill all pitchers and water bottles with boiled or filtered water.
- Charge all portable electronics- cell phones, laptops, kindle, extra battery pack case for my iPhone.
- Fill bathtub with water to flush the toilet or cook.
- Confirm we have matches to light our gas stove.
- Get batteries for my boombox- as our source of radio transmissions.
- Do all laundry and dishes in case of long-term power outage.
- Put collars on my cats and decide where and how they will weather the storm (probably in a closet w/ food, water, and a litterbox).
- Remove window A/C Units.
- Talk to neighbors and remove all loose items from the area that might get picked up and tossed around by the storm.
- Secure anything I’d be heartbroken to lose: my cats, our computers & printer, my journals & capture books.
What are you doing to prepare for the storm?